17 Reasons to be Grateful!
by 57 Chocolate
GRATITUDE. According to Merriam-Webster's dictionary, the definition of gratitude is "a feeling of thankfulness or appreciation." As the new year approaches, we at '57 Chocolate have so much to be thankful for. We decided the best way to celebrate the holiday season is to take the time to acknowledge all that we've accomplished, appreciate what we have, as well as where we plan to be in the coming years (short- and long-term).
January 2017 is when '57 Chocolate officially turns one year old. Can you believe it? We can't either. We made our first batch of chocolate in January 2016, made our first sale of 700 pieces of chocolate in April, and since then we have made an immense amount of progress.
A phenomenal poet, and civil rights activist, Maya Angelou once said, "Be present in all things, be thankful for all things." When was the last time you practiced gratitude? We invite you to join us now, at this very moment to practice gratitude.
We encourage you to pause with us for 10 minutes. Find a quiet space, grab a piece of paper (or a journal), your favorite pen and write down 17 things you are grateful for (from January 2016 to present). We thought 17 things would be most fitting, given the upcoming new year 2017.
Don't think about it too long. Write down whatever first comes to mind. Ready? Set? Here it goes.... (in no particular order of course):
1. God. For the amazing opportunities and blessings.
2. Our mentors near & far (Yayra, Evelyn, Rudy, Fabien, Simon, Margie, Beverly, and Pam)
3. All the cocoa farmers, especially in Ghana, who labor to grow a crop which many of us take for granted.
4. Akyaa (thank you for being our first customer).
5. Nii & Diane, thank you for encouraging us to go the extra mile.
6. The Tony Elumelu Foundation, for giving us the opportunity to grow our idea.
7. Our loving and supportive parents (Mum & Dad) a.k.a Klaklo and Gari, we love you! Thank you for also serving as our taste-testers.
8. Everyone who has been to a '57 Chocolate tasting and has provided us feedback.
9. We are grateful for having moved back to our native country to bring this idea to fruition.
10. We are thankful for the learning process, especially the mistakes that we have learned from.
11. We are grateful for all of the challenges. It has forced us to stay alert, creative and think outside the box.
12. Working and learning with Fabien in his factory.
13. Having developed six signature flavors: 2 kinds of dark, milk, white, mocha latte, and bissap chocolate.
14. Thankful for all our global cheerleaders. Some who have never even tasted our chocolate, but have sent in words of encouragement to keep on keeping on!
15. We are extremely thankful for Ghanaian art and culture that inspires us and our work, especially the adinkra symbols.
16 We are thankful for time. The 365 days we've experienced together as Co-founders (both good and bad), because these experiences are what have got us here thus far.
17. Last but not least our customers! Thank you for your support and for following our story!